Welcome to my blog! It's a collection of pictures I've taken and thoughts that have come to me since I began my sabbatical wandering. There's no specific theme other than my desire to experience the spirituality of different cultures and places. I welcome your comments and conversation. It's a wonderful trip for me and I thank you for sharing it.

Friday 20 March 2009

Feast of St. Cuthbert

Br. Robert asked me to preside at their daily Eucharist today. I packed my alb knowing I would preach and celebrate at the Cathedral, but it was an unexpected treat to be invited to celebrate the Eucharist for the brothers.

I didn’t know in advance that it was the feast of St. Cuthbert. It’s customary in churches who observe lesser feasts to read a synopsis of the saint prior to the Eucharist. As it was read it was my turn to chuckle silently at God’s sense of humor. St. Cuthbert lived in the seventh century AD and was a monk and Prior of Lindesfarne in the north of England. He went on to live the life of a hermit monk on an island, ultimately founding a monastery there as well. That island has become known through the centuries as Holy Island, one of my next destinations.
Time waxes and wanes. Since I have passed the midpoint of my visit to South Africa I’m more aware of time waning. The reading about Cuthbert reminded me that I’m called not to stay here, but move on. Still, there is a lot I will do and see here. There is still much to learn and soak in. But I’m mindful that in many ways our lives move from location to location in bitter sweet pace. I second guess myself thinking I should have spent all three months of the sabbatical in this wonderful place. Yet, if I had, I wouldn’t be able to spend time in other places meeting other people and experiencing other ways of living and praying. Ultimately choices get made and each is of great value.

We are guests in this life of all the places we visit and people we come to know. Time waxes and wanes in each place and relationship often without knowing the duration. It’s so important to relish each day for what it has to offer and each person for who they are. While being mindful of the movement of time and making plans to the next transition, we can’t let it rob us of the pleasure of finding God in any particular place at any particular moment.

Cuthbert may be on the horizon calling, but I’m still here now!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy St. Cuthbert's day...it is good to see him being commemorated in the blogosphere! if you have a moment, you are invited to visit my blog dedicated to him:

http://stcuthbert.blogspot.com

Uncle Bernie said...

Greetings Bernie----You will receive this letter in England and will be hosting your parents; they were looking forward to the visit. I am certain that you will have a lifetime memory of your sabbatical and will have gained a sense of other areas customs and religious views.
Your diary is very well written and must have consumed much of your time, I’ll admit to being illiterate in the subject matter but appreciative of your product. I wish you well on the remainder of your sabbatical. Asia next?
Ta Ta------Uncle Bernie
PS I tried to insert a picture but was unable to.