Welcome to my blog! It's a collection of pictures I've taken and thoughts that have come to me since I began my sabbatical wandering. There's no specific theme other than my desire to experience the spirituality of different cultures and places. I welcome your comments and conversation. It's a wonderful trip for me and I thank you for sharing it.

Monday 30 March 2009

A Time for Healing

One the activities I’d planned before coming to South Africa was a series of events around the Healing Ministry. I was asked to preach at the Cathedral of St. George and St. Michael on the third Sunday of Lent at both their early and main Eucharist and later that evening at a Eucharist they have geared for university students. The next day (Monday) we scheduled a special workshop open to anyone interested from the Cathedral and surrounding areas. There was a healing Eucharist on Tuesday and a final preaching date on Lent 4 at Evensong at the Cathedral. Or so I thought, I was invited back for a follow up workshop Monday, Mar 30, my last full day in South Africa.

The response to each of these events was wonderful, and the workshop drew people not only from the Cathedral but neighboring parishes, Rhodes University students, members of religious orders and workers from shelters for battered women and others from the orphanage system. Some had experience with healing prayer and for some it was a new area of exploration. In each case the need is felt for healing in their lives, their communities and their country. Preliminary conversation delineated between “cure” and “healing” which many found helpful. Cure affects the body, healing affects the spirit. These words are often used interchangeably but a distinction in understanding is important.

Stories emerged of the many varies sources of pain and suffering both physical and spiritual. Family issues, personal struggles, divorce and grief over death were brought up. As the trust level grew in the room, other stories of issues pertaining to cultural differences - forced marriages, sanctioned abuse of women and children, rape, and the staggering level of HIV and AIDS. Tears flowed quietly in what became a safe place. Healing began in the ability to share stories and open a door to God’s love conveyed through the people gathered. Prayer and laying on of hands gave space for soul healing. Like so many of us, hurts that were decades old came out fresh in the conversation Telling the stories affirmed each individual’s dignity in the face of hurt they experienced.

I heard first hand stories of things more painful than I’ve ever heard. The level of suffering is profound. The wounds of the country cut deep into the lives of the people and they bear the scars. We’ve heard of the work of the Truth and Reconciliation Council, but the window of time they set for their work has mainly closed. What remains is the truth and reconciliation that requires years in the lives of individuals. Healing Prayer is a way that can help. The response to the conversation that opened up and the profound prayer it inspired is an indication of the need. The Dean of the Cathedral and his wife, Andrew and Clare Hunter, are a clergy couple. They later told me this workshop and series of sermons helps them demonstrate the cross section of interest and need. It inspired them to talk of the next steps in their own healing work at the Cathedral. I provided a catalyst for a conversation that was long in coming. They were open and responsive and they seem committed to creating a healing ministry that is intentional and will cross social and racial lines. A lot of ministry is getting people together and providing an environment for them to share what's in their hearts. That's how healing begins and it flows from the indiviual to ever growing circles. At the center is God from whom al healing comes.

1 comment:

Carr Holland said...

Thank you Bernie for all this writing. You have reminded me of our trip so many years past now. Tim and I know Monica and Heidi from his time at St. Luke's in the Feilds where they were supported for a time. Reading through this as I go into Holy Week has had a centering effect. Know you are loved. Carr+